Submitted by robyns on Tue, 07/24/2018 - 19:24
INDUSTRY NEWS UPDATE JULY 24, 2018

The Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturers Association has its finger on the pulse of the cabinet industry. We know the industry, because we are the industry. Check out what's been happening since our last update:

Manufacturing Day 2018

Friday, October 5th is designated as National Manufacturing day (MFG DAY). On this day, manufacturers will address common misconceptions of the industry and their practices by opening their doors and showing, in a coordinated effort, what manufacturing is - and what it isn't. By working together during and after MFG DAY, manufacturers will begin to address the skilled labor shortages they face, connect with future generations, take charge of the public image of manufacturing, and ensure the ongoing prosperity of the entire industry.

MFG DAY is designed to amplify the voice of individual manufacturers and coordinate a collective chorus of manufacturers with common concerns and challenges. They rallying point for a growing mass movement, MFG DAY empowers manufacturers to come together to address their collective challenges so they can help their communities and future generations thrive.

Join manufacturers from around the country in a celebration of modern manufacturing meant to inspire the next generation - learn more at www.mfgday.com.

Manufacturing day

Tariffs Introduced on Chinese Woodworking Equipment

Recently the Office of the United States Trade Representative released a final list of 1,102 items on which the United States will begin collecting a 25% tariff. Of note, Chinese woodworking equipment was included on that list. Specifically, planing, milling, molding, grinding, sanding and polishing machines were all referenced.

The tariffs are meant to dampen demand for the technology and are part of the United States' response to China's "unfair trade practices related to the forced transfer of American Technology and intellectual property."

Read more on the list of goods to be taxed here.

tariff

United States Forest Mortality Exceeds Growth

According to the United States Forest Service, forest mortality exceeded net growth in 2016. Timber harvested accounted for 11% of what is dying annually while wildfire, insects and disease accounted for the other 89%. The agency estimated that last year there were 6.3 billion dead trees standing in 11 western states. This means that more trees are dying of neglect than are being harvested for wood products. The forest growth replenished only 48% of the dead trees.

The cause? Lack of active forest management. Click here to read more.

Forest

Wellborn Cabinet, Inc. and Tru Cabinetry Hire Displaced MasterBrand Workers

A couple of weeks ago it was announced that MasterBrand would shut down its Auburn, Alabama manufacturing plant, leaving 445 workers without jobs. Since then, both Wellborn Cabinet, Inc. and Tru Cabinetry have announced their intentions to hire a number of the displaced workers.

Wellborn plans to hold a job fair in Auburn for the employees that were laid off and will take on 50 employees. Tru Cabinetry also held a job fair and is hoping to fill positions across all departments with the previous MasterBrand employees.

Read more here.

cabinet hire

----

KCMA is always on the lookout to bring you the latest news and advocate for you in the industry. If you would like to learn more about being a member of KCMA and getting access to exclusive member news, insights, research and webinars visit our website.