KCMA Kicks Off 50th Anniversary Year With Series of Exciting Activities
KITCHEN CABINET MANUFACTURERS ASSOCIATION COMMEMORATES 50 YEARS OF ACHIEVEMENT
RESTON, Va.– The Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturers Association (KCMA) is celebrating the 50th anniversary of its founding in 2005. In celebration of its achievements, KCMA will host a series of exciting events throughout the year in an effort to share with its members the milestones and challenges of the last 50 years, while looking forward to future opportunity.
“The last 50 years have given us plenty of reasons to celebrate," said Rich Forbes, president, Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturers Association. "Our industry has progressed over the past 50 years in all areas including fashion, quality, and service to our consumers. KCMA has played a large role in the defining moments of the cabinet manufacturing business, and we are proud of its achievements. The kitchen has become the most important room in the house, and cabinetry is the most important component of the kitchen. There are many challenges, but our future is bright.”
Then and Now
In the spring of 1955, the association’s founders, R.C. “Dick” Chapman, Mutschler Bros., and Richard “Dick” Behm, Hardwood Plywood Manufacturers Association, met with the intent of preserving the prominence of factory-built wood kitchen cabinets. Together, with 38 charter members – both cabinet manufacturers and suppliers – the two men formed the National Institute of Wood Kitchen Cabinets, later known as the Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturers Association. At that time, the main concern of the industry was the threat to their very existence posed by steel.
From the early days of the organization, the objectives have emphasized member value, networking and industry improvement. Today, the organization maintains that unity with over 350 company members and now is the principal trade association for the U.S. cabinet manufacturing industry.
The goals of the KCMA include promoting the industry, developing quality standards, sponsoring research, representing member interests in government legislative and regulatory issues, and providing management tools and educational programs. Throughout the years, KCMA has continually developed programs to meet the needs of the ever-changing cabinet industry, which, according to the most recent KCMA monthly trend of business report, has recorded over 100 consecutive months of growth.
A Golden Year of Celebrations
As KCMA kicks off it’s 50th year, the organization invites its members to recognize all that they have achieved together over the last half-century and to look forward to the opportunities that lay ahead with several exciting events:
- The KCMA 50th Anniversary Forest – In partnership with the National Arbor Day Foundation, KCMA will plant 50,000 trees to create a KCMA Anniversary Forest. The foundation has been actively involved in the reforestation of America’s National Forests since 1990 by planting trees in areas that have been damaged by fire, insects or disease.
- The New KCMA Web Site – KCMA has launched a new Web site, re-designed to be more user friendly and content driven. The new site was launched early last month and will be a valuable resource for members and consumers. The dynamic consumers section will provide more visibility for KCMA members’ products and also will be a useful tool for consumers renovating their kitchen cabinets.
- Defining Moments – An Anniversary Keepsake Book – This commemorative book showcases the defining moments of the industry throughout the last 50 years. Included are the stories of the people who played pivotal roles in shaping the industry and the association. The book will be available to members in February.
- Moments in Time – A Photo Exhibit of the History of the Cabinet Manufacturing Industry – The cornerstone of the year-long celebration, this exhibit captures the history of the cabinet manufacturing industry all the way back to the first factory-made cabinets at the beginning of the 20th century. This groundbreaking project will be on display at the Hafele America’s showroom located in the heart of New York’s design district on March 15. The exhibit will remain at the showroom until April 2, 2005, and then will travel to the KCMA Annual Convention in June.
- The KCMA 50th Anniversary Annual Convention – The KCMA annual convention will take place, June 5-8 2005, at the Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs, Colo. This year, the convention will include special events to mark the anniversary celebration and involve leaders from past years.
“As we celebrate this milestone, we are proud of the achievements we’ve made, and we look forward to the next 50 years of accomplishments,” said Forbes. “We’ve seen a lot of changes over the years, but one thing remains the same – the value of this industry association is as solid as the products our members manufacture.
The Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturers Association, celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2005, is the principal trade association in the United States for manufacturers of kitchen cabinets and bath vanities, countertop and other decorative laminate products, and suppliers to the industry. Headquartered in Reston, Va., KCMA, together with its members, is committed to creating a better and brighter future through continued quality, advocacy and leadership. For more information, visit www.kcma.org.